The metadata parameter in the Conversation API allows you to pass information on messages, conversations, and contacts. Metadata can be compared to a tag in that it provides information on the message or contact but is not a part of the message itself.
The metadata field is a string up to 1024 long.
A few ways other users have used the metadata fields:
- Distinguish messaging campaigns from one another using a code
- Assign various codes to departments to know who sent the message
- Distinguish one messaging author from another
- Additional validation security
- Specify an objective of the message sent
- Name groups of contacts
- More specific regional information on a group of contacts.
Retrieving self-appointed metadata can become a powerful tool when reviewing analytics.