cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Toll-Free numbers are telephone numbers with distinct three-digit prefix codes that can be dialed from US and Canadian landlines with no charge to the person placing the call. Toll-Free numbers begin with one of the following three-digit codes: 800, 888, 877, 866, 855, 844 or 833. Such numbers allow landline callers to reach businesses and individuals without being charged a long-distance fee for the call. 

Toll-Free numbers are particularly common for customer-service calling. Toll-Free service has traditionally provided potential customers, and others, with a free and convenient way to contact businesses. Wireless callers, however, will be charged for the airtime minutes used during a Toll-Free call unless they have an "unlimited calling" plan. Customers can also send text messages to Toll-Free numbers, so long as those Toll-Free numbers are "text enabled," and businesses can reply as well.

Today you’re probably used to sending text messages to and from your family and friends.  You might also receive messages from businesses over short codes (smaller phone numbers, for example: 12345) about package deliveries or banking updates.  Toll-Free messaging is just like using these other types of numbers, it’s just using a ten-digit Toll-Free telephone number instead. 

You might also ask; how does this affect my voice traffic on that number?  Will it impact my contact center if I enable toll-free text messaging?  The answer is no, it won’t have any effect on your voice services on that number. Voice and Messaging on a Toll-Free number run completely independently from one other; thus you can enable voice via one provider and messaging via another provider. 

With Sinch, you can enable both Voice and Text or enable them independently as well - Learn more about Toll-Free Numbers from Sinch.

Featured Article
Version history
Last update:
‎07-01-2022 08:15 AM
Updated by: