Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IcedTea-Web instead of OpenWebStart

aldets
Frequent Contributor

Hi,

Asking this just out of curiosity.
https://community.sinch.com/t5/Contact-Pro/Discontinuation-of-Java-8-support/m-p/11160
In the above article it is shown how to start using Azul Zulu Java with OpenWebStart. Done that, and everything works and we've been using it with great success.

Now, out internal IT has come to as and told that the corporate policy says that OpenWebStart is a no-go. But IcedTea-Web is allowed and that we can use that. Well, installed it, I think I configured it correctly, tried to open System Configurator, but got an error, obviously.

I'm not proficient in Java, but basicly it is saying that it has trouble to parse the XML. So the question is, can IcedTea-Web even be used for opening System Configurator or I can tell the companies IT guys to go away with that nonsense?

As said, with OpenWebStart it works like a charm.

Kind regards,
Alder Tsvetkov
Contact Center Solutions Expert

4 REPLIES 4

Jukka
Employee
Employee

Hi Alder,

From development point of view I can comment that we have not tried using of IcedTea. Also, I haven't heard from any customer that they would have tried out. 

If you or anyone else manage to get it working, then I'm happy to add it into documentation as an option. 

BR,
Jukka

Jukka Suhonen, Contact Pro Senior Product Engineer

aldets
Frequent Contributor

Hi Jukka,

Well, I'd be more than happy, if you'd tell me that this IcedTea-Web thingy is not recommended or supported so that I can go to our IT people and tell them to stop with this nonsense 😁 .
As I sayd, I'm not proficient in Java at all. Tried to troubleshoot it abit, but all I get, is that the XML is malformed. I highly doubt it, because it is working with OWS.

Kind regards,
Alder

Jukka
Employee
Employee

Yes, currently the statement is that we are officially supporting only Openwebstart. 

Same time came to my mind that you are very likely trying to open SC against on-premise system and that could explain the problem. I will send you an email with a link you can try with icedtea. Let's see the results of that test. 

//Jukka

Jukka
Employee
Employee

Based on testing we did with Alder, the IcedTea-Web doesn't work simply by installing the software. Therefore, the recommendation is to use openwebstart and there are no plans to investigate this further. 

BR,
Jukka