cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Opt-out logic

Spasoje
New Contributor

Hi all,

I need a little bit of help figuring out if I need to implement some kind of opt-out logic via SMS on my API or it already exists on Sinch API? Tried searching for the answer in the documentation, but can see mentions of it only for WhatsApp, Viber, Messenger... Any help would be appreciated.

3 REPLIES 3

Sam_Williams
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hello, thank you for your question!

I've reached out to the relevant product teams for more information. Please note that the answer to your question may depend on whether you are using the standalone SMS API or the SMS channel of the Conversation API.

There is also existing documentation that may assist you as you develop your solution. We know that the content included in a Mobile Originated (MO) message can be extremely important, especially when managing opt-ins and opt-outs. These MO messages are usually delivered via webhook/callback, and their content may be extracted and used in your own processes. While we wait for more information from the product teams, feel free to review our documentation on the following topics:

Once I get a response from the product teams, I'll add the relevant information as a reply to this post. In the meantime, please let us know if you have any other questions.

Thanks again! 

Sam Williams, Sinch Documentation Engineer

Hi Sam,

Thank you for the prompt response.

I am asking about standalone SMS API. In case you have any logic or service that is handling for opt-out logic and end users, there is no need for me to code it into my API. 

Hello again!

Sure thing, we're happy to help! And thank you for clarifying that you are using the standalone SMS API.

The product teams got back to me. In addition to using your own backend processes to extract and act upon the content of an MO message, the SMS API also allows you to create, manage, and maintain groups of recipients. These groups can be set to automatically update using the auto_update property, allowing you to specify trigger responses that automatically opt recipients into or out of the group. You can send messages to groups of recipients that have opted in by simply including the corresponding group IDs in the the to property of the request. A thoughtful implementation of group functionality can therefore streamline your opt-in and opt-out processes.

In order to use the auto_update property, you'll need a valid phone number or short code which has been provisioned by your account manager. If you have any other questions, please let us know.

Thank you!

Sam Williams, Sinch Documentation Engineer